Project management software has come a long way in the past few years. No longer are teams locked into using clunky, outdated software that doesn’t meet their needs. Instead, they can choose from a variety of agile project management software (APMS) options that are both powerful and versatile.
So, which APMS should your team use? To help you make the best decision for your project management needs, this article reviews the top 7 agile project management software, examining their features, costs, and pros and cons.
Agile Project Management 101
The Agile approach to project management combines the flexibility of traditional project management with the speed and responsiveness of agile development.
Agile project management is based on flexibility, adaptability, and continuous improvement. It allows teams to respond quickly to changes and challenges. It also makes building teams, tracking progress, and managing projects easy.
Agile project management software helps managers plan, track and execute agile projects. It is a standard communication and collaboration framework that enables teams to work together more effectively.
These tools are designed to assist teams in keeping up with changes in large, unpredictable projects by prioritizing tasks, tracking and monitoring processes, evaluating team performance, and automating workflow.
Our Top Picks For The Best Agile Project Management Software
- Overall Best Agile Project Management Software: Monday.com
- Best Agile Project Management Software for Enterprise Security: Wrike
- Best Agile Project Management Software for Software Development Teams: Jira
- Best Agile Project Management Software for Collaboration: Asana
- Best Simple Agile Project Management Software: Trello
- Best Agile Project Management Software for Large Teams: ClickUp
- Best Agile Project Management Software for Small Teams: Pivotal Tracker
Overall Best Agile Project Management Software
Monday.com is an agile project management software that is efficient and effective. A simplified user interface and many customizable templates make it easy to use.
Monday.com is very versatile and can be efficiently utilized across other departments, such as sales, marketing, software development, and human resource management.
- It has a team status overview feature that lets everyone on the team see what others are working on.
- It has a monthly planning feature that helps users to plan ahead.
- It offers no code automation functions.
- It comes with over 200 productivity templates.
- It has a task progress feature that signifies the progress made on every task.
- It offers multiple view options that let teams navigate projects easily.
- It offers a mobile app for Android and iOS devices.
- It makes it easy to track projects’ progress.
- It aids team accountability.
- It is flexible and adapts to most business processes.
- It is visually appealing.
- It is easy to use.
- The mobile app does not update in real-time with the web version.
Monday.com offers four price plans.
- Basic plan: starting at $10/user/month if paid monthly ($8/user/month if paid yearly).
- Standard plan: starting at $12/user/month if paid monthly (or $10/seat/month if paid annually).
- Pro plan: starting at $20/user/month if paid monthly (or $16/seat/month if paid annually).
- Enterprise plan: Contact Monday.com support for a customized plan for your organization.
Best Agile Project Management Software for Enterprise Security
Wrike is an awesome agile project management software that assists you in simplifying complex projects into workable activities for organizational success.
Wrike is cloud-based and highly customizable. It lets users configure dashboards, workflows, and reports. It also offers Gantt charts and Kanban boards.
Wrike integrates with all platforms, including Android and iPhone, so that users can stay up to date on both active and finished projects.
- It has highly customizable features for different business purposes.
- It offers real-time reporting, commenting, and editing.
- It has great collaboration features.
- It offers reliable security infrastructure.
- It has multiple view options, such as Gantt charts and Kanban boards.
- It has excellent advanced analytics features.
- It has exceptional customer support.
- It is an excellent communication and collaboration tool.
- It is great at keeping projects organized.
- It is android and iOS enabled.
- The user interface is not intuitive.
- It is not easy to learn.
Wrike offers four payment plans.
- Free: $0 per user/month
- Professional: $9.80 per user/month,
- Business: $24.80 user/month.
- Enterprise: Contact support.
Best Agile Project Management Software for Software Development Teams
Jira, a software developed by Atlassian, is a well-known agile project management tool. It is the perfect choice for software development teams. It is used by some of the largest organizations in the world.
Jira was originally built as a bug-tracking tool for software developers but has been improved over time to accommodate the needs of other agile teams.
Jira has a generous free trial. It is free for up to 10 users, although it is limited to a few features. The paid version also has a 7 days trial period.
- It has an intuitive scrum board that helps to break complex projects into achievable bits.
- It offers real-time visual data reporting.
- It is preloaded with ready-to-use templates.
- It is highly customizable.
- It offers integration with over 3000 applications.
- It has a drag-and-drop automation feature.
- It offers enhanced security features.
- Jira has a large community of users online who can serve as secondary support in case you experience difficulty.
- It is excellent for bug-tracking in software development projects.
- It makes collaboration with teams smooth and easy.
- Jira software is very flexible and collaborates well with other tools.
- The user interface is superb.
- It has too many features, which can be confusing for new users.
Jira offers a free plan for up to 10 users. The other plans are:
- Standard Plan: This plan cost $7.50 per user/month or $750 yearly.
- Premium Plan: This plan cost $14.50 per user/month or $1,450 yearly.
- Enterprise Plan: This plan is only available for 801 users or more. You need to contact support for a quote.
Best Agile Project Management Software for Collaboration
Asana is an intelligent, cloud-based agile project management software solution. It is simple to use and helps managers plan, track, and execute projects. It is designed to help teams work together effectively by providing a common framework for communication and collaboration.
Asana offers considerably affordable pricing options. Users are also allowed to access its features without adding credit cards for 30 days.
- It has live commenting and chat features.
- It has a bug and issue tracking feature.
- It has a drag-and-drop feature.
- It comes with easy-to-customize templates.
- Asana also provides real-time updates.
- The user interface is intuitive.
- It makes it easy to give reports.
- It can be accessed on the go via its android and iOS application.
- Its drag-and-drop features make it easy to move tasks and assign work.
- The support team is very responsive.
- It is difficult to set up.
- It does not have an undo button to undo the last action performed.
Asana offers four plans.
- Basic: Free
- Premium: $10.99/mo (billed annually) or $13.49/mo (billed monthly),
- Business: $24.99/mo (billed annually) or $30.49/mo (billed monthly),
- Enterprise: Contact support.
Most Simple Agile Project Management Software
Trello is an intuitive agile project management software. It is a great tool for effective project planning and task management. Trello users can create different boards to track the status of projects throughout different phases.
Trello is straightforward for new users with its drag and drop features. It is also easy to set up and has a large community of online users, making it easy to get secondary support in case of difficulty.
Trello has a free but limited version that allows 10 boards per team and limits users to 10 MB per file attachment.
- It supports automated email notifications
- It has great collaboration features.
- It has an easy-to-use drag-and-drop feature.
- It offers a mobile app for Android and iOS devices.
- It supports third-party integrations.
- It has a real-time chat feature.
- It is user-friendly and well-organized.
- It aids team accountability.
- It has a superb notification system.
- Trello has an affordable price plan.
- It relies on an internet connection.
- Users are unable to edit comments once posted.
Trello offers four plans:
- Standard: $5.00 per user per month;
- Premium: $10 per user per month;
- Enterprise: pricing starts at $17.50 per user per month (starting for 250 users, billed annually).
Best Agile Project Management Software for Large Teams
ClickUp is another easy-to-use agile project management software. It provides several solutions for agile teams, such as Gantt charts, Kanban board, Mind maps, Native time tracking, and more.
ClickUp is highly customizable and allows teams to save time using custom templates and task automation. It also offers users integration with over a thousand software.
ClickUp is accessible on the go with commendable mobile apps for Android and iPhone users. It also supports voice prompts for easy access.
- ClickUp offers 15 different task view options.
- It offers task automation features.
- It comes with preloaded custom templates.
- It has a whiteboard, comments, and chat feature for collaboration with the team.
- It has excellent reporting features.
- It offers a milestone feature to signify the progress of a project.
- Its user interface is intuitive and easy to use.
- It integrates well with other software.
- It has an efficient support team.
- It has too many functions, making it quite difficult to set up.
- Its data upload is slow.
ClickUp has a free plan with limited functions. To enjoy the full features of ClickUp, you will have to subscribe to one of the following plans:
- Unlimited: $9 per user per month, billed monthly ($5 per user per month, billed annually).
- Business: $19 per user per month, billed monthly ($12 per user per month, billed annually).
- Business Plus: $29 per user per month, billed monthly ($19 per user per month, billed annually).
- Enterprise: This plan is for large corporations and is only available upon request.
Best Agile Project Management Software for Small Teams
Pivotal Tracker is a great tool for managing agile projects in a simple and efficient way. Pivotal Tracker is ideal for software developers. It offers a unique story-based project planning feature that helps the team focus on the story behind a project.
The interface is intuitive and easy to navigate, and the features are clearly laid out. You can get started with Pivotal Tracker in just a few minutes, and you’ll be up and running in no time.
- It offers a story-based project planning feature.
- It offers a drag-and-drop feature.
- It has a workspace feature that puts your projects in order.
- It has a velocity feature that keeps the team in rhythm.
- It has great analytics features that illustrate the project’s progress and how well the team is doing.
- It offers seamless integration with Slack, GitHub, Zapier, Zandesk and more.
- It is user-friendly, and you can quickly onboard yourself and your team in just a few minutes.
- Pivotal tracker makes managing multiple projects with multiple clients and teams easy.
- It is good for issue tracking in software development projects.
- The mobile app is not efficient as it freezes while in use.
- Free: This plan accommodates 1-5 users. It is free but limited to 5 projects.
- Startup: This plan accommodates 6-10 users. It costs a flat rate of $10 to access this package monthly and $100 per year.
- Standard: This plan accommodates 11 users and above. A team of 11 to 49 persons gets to pay $6.50 per user per month if paid monthly and $5.42 per user per month when billed annually. A team of 50 persons upward pays $6 per user per month if paid monthly and $5.00 per user per month when billed annually.
- Enterprise: This is custom and is only available on request.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Agile Project Management Software
When choosing the best agile project management software for your organization, there are many factors to consider. Some of the most important factors include:
Ease of Use
The software of your choice should be easy to use and understand. It should have a user-friendly interface that is intuitive and straightforward.
You should consider using agile project management software with a short learning curve. Teams do not need to be distracted by the complexities of the software.
Digital technology has made it possible for individuals in various locations worldwide to collaborate on a project. Agile project management software ensures onsite and remote team members connect and work with one another with minimal constraints.
Unfortunately, some developers do not prioritize this in software design. You should consider basic project management collaboration features such as automated email reminders, task timer, shared calendar, and feedback functions before settling for one.
The best agile project management software for collaboration is Asana. It is cloud-based and enables teams to communicate in real time.
The market offers a wide variety of software at different prices. The cost of the software should be considered when making a decision. Also, finding software that fits your budget without compromising on quality is important.
Trello has an affordable price plan, making it attractive to startups and new businesses.
Some programs are better suited for certain types of projects than others. If you work on large, complex projects, you will need a program designed for that type of work.
Size Of Team
It is important to choose a program that can accommodate the number of users you have. You will need a program that can handle many users if you have a large team.
Platform of Choice
The platform of your choice will determine which agile project management software will suit you. Many Agile project management software has a mobile app version that lets users work on the go.
Some reports, however, show that only a few developers put in the extra work to deliver a dependable mobile app. Most users have described ClickUp’s mobile app as exceptional as it has an intuitive user interface and is as efficient as the web version.
The software should be able to integrate with other software programs your organization is currently using. This will make it easier to manage your projects and keep track of all the data in one place. Make sure the tool you purchase is compatible with your current systems.
Be sure to consider the company’s reputation behind the agile project management software. Also, choose a software program with good online reviews and testimonials from past users.
A well-developed agile management software that does not provide necessary support in case you are experiencing difficulties can be frustrating. Choosing a software program that offers reliable customer support if you have any questions or problems is important.
The software’s intelligence, user interface, and other features are important. Equally important is the security feature, which determines the safety of your project.
You should select an agile project management software that is secure and offer features that protect your data. Wrike’s developers put in effort to deliver a software with extra security features.
Agile project management software is a tool that helps organizations manage their projects in an agile way. This type of software is designed to help teams work together more efficiently and effectively by following the agile methodology.
Trello is the most commonly used agile project management software because of its simplicity, easy-to-use features, affordable price plan, and integration capabilities. Having been in existence since 2011, it is one of the oldest and most efficient agile project management software solutions.
Yes, most agile project management software solutions offer free trials. This allows businesses to try out the software before making a commitment.
Monday.com is arguably the easiest to learn of all agile project management tools. It is visually appealing, easy to use, flexible, and highly customizable.
Jira may be the most difficult agile software to learn. It has a lot of advanced features that may be confusing to non-developers. It was developed with the needs of programmers in mind.
No one software may be regarded as best for agile project management. Each software is designed with different goals in mind.
Agile project management software is a tool that enables onsite and remote team members to connect and work with one another with minimal constraints. This type of software is designed to help teams work together, achieve more, and smash deadlines.
There are many different agile project management software solutions, each with unique features and pricing plans. When choosing an agile project management software solution, you should consider your organization’s needs and your budget.
Our top pick is Monday.com because of its flexibility and ability to accommodate software and non-software teams. However, teams from a non-technical background will find Trello exciting, while Jira is an excellent choice for teams with technical know-how.