Want to know the best OTT platform to stream from in 2022? Read this!
Over-the-top(OTT) streaming platform is the new normal as the world is embracing more visual content, especially in the form of videos. OTT has come to make video more accessible and comes in handy through different OTT platforms accessible on all mini devices.
Indiscriminate accessibility is a big deal. The urgency that comes with the ‘I need it now’ mindset births the need for developers to provide solutions and bring their products down to the room of their end consumers for the sake of accessibility.
More so, according to Cisco; a global-based technology company, online videos will make up more than 82% of all consumer internet traffic by 2022 which is evidently playing out already. So, stay with me on this journey to get to know the best OTT platform to subscribe to in order to get the best service in 2022.
In this article,you will find the best OTT platforms available in the market, their features, pricing and every necessary information about each one that you will find useful in making your decision.
What is OTT platform?
OTT is an acronym for over-the-top. Over-the-top platform is a means of providing video, movie and film content to end consumers outside of the traditional cable service provider. Over-the-top uses advanced technology and public data to give vetted or customized access to subscribed individuals according to each end user specification.
OTT is referred to as over-the-top because the service evades the process of cable connection and goes over the cable television system to grant users access to premium video content with high ratings and most importantly at a reduced price.
Users of OTT can access their preferred video content at any time, anywhere with the presence of an internet connection. What differentiates OTT from cable television is its accessibility to users.
For instance, with your amazon fire stick, you can access most of the popular OTT platforms on your non-smart tv. You can also access your favourite channels on any device on OTT platforms. Smart TVs. Apple TVs. Chromecast, PlayStation, Xbox, amazon fire stick and many others are all instances of devices where you can stream OTT video content without subscribing to any cable television.
Factors to Look Out for When Choosing an OTT Platform.
Although, there are two user categories of an OTT platform: Host and end-user also known as the consumer. We have concentrated on the Consumer/Consumer category in this article and we will continue as such. As an intended subscriber, there are a couple of factors you should look out for before subscribing to an OTT platform and we have compiled the list of the most important features to look out for below.
- Age. The consumer age range matters in this industry. Many OTT platforms are consumer specific in their content. While some are designed to serve children with more children’s television shows, others are designed to serve adult needs. For instance, Disney+ is known for airing children’s content while Netflix is known for 18+ content. Amazon prime
- Content. The Content that the OTT platform shows matters.
- Subscription plan. Pricing is the most important factor in choosing a suitable OTT for yourself and your Family.
- Genre. Different OTT platform has their target audience. Disney shows mostly kids series while Netflix is rated over 18+ and so on. So, you want to know the content your preferred OTT platform always shows.
- Rating. It is important to check the rating of the movie before subscribing to your preferred OTT platform
Netflix is a big dog in the OTT industry. It has more than 200 million global subscribers. Netflix is most successful among users because it offers a wide range of content to subscribers. With numerous TV shows, dramas, blockbusters, Anime, Musicals documentaries and many more.
Netflix is available in more than 180 countries with different content in different regions which means that Netflix content availability is location specific. Although sometimes, you can access different content when your virtual private network (VPN) is turned on which helps you to be location neutral although Netflix has blocked certain VPN providers due to different copyright regulations in each country.
Moreso, Netflix holds 35% of the world’s streaming platforms among others in the industry which makes it a top recommendation. Wouldn’t you rather go for what the world love?
Netflix has been in the market since 1997 and it has kept evolving to reach millions of users and serve them better.
- Good video quality. Netflix movie HD quality reaches 4k which makes the streaming resolution to be extra effective for viewers who care about their movie quality. Note that the resolution could be adjusted and the 4k HD quality only comes with the premium plan.
- Diverse Content. Netflix diversifies in terms of content. It is packed with spectacular content for all its different global audiences from Kdrama, Bollywood, Hollywood, shows, independent videos and many more. Netflix has about 17,000 streamable content as of April 2022.
- Censored streaming. Netflix can be subjected to censorship to allow for parental guidance. 18+ rated content will be streamlined for children to have access to Non-sexual content giving parents the opportunity of parental control over their children.
- Reasonable pricing. When affordability is being discussed and a whooping percentage of the world’s population is opting for a particular product, that should ring a bell about its affordability I.e, Netflix premium content can be accessed without breaking the bank.
- Download feature. Netflix provides users with the opportunity to download a movie and save it to watch later
- Ads free. With Netflix, no interrupted streaming or going back or losing the momentum of a movie while watching. Netflix is Ad free and you get premium service for your money.
- Multiple profile. With paid membership subscription, you have multiple viewing capacities on one account. The basic, standard and premium plan comes with different streaming capacities. While you can have as many profiles as possible, streaming on each profile is dependent on your subscription plan.
- User-Friendly Interface. Netflix interface is so simple that just anybody that can read can navigate around it seamlessly.
- Accessibility.You can access Netflix on all your smart devices and all subscription plan comes with the same content.
Netflix has three subscription plan options:
- Basic plan which cost $9.99 per month
- Standard plan which costs $15.99 per month and
- The Premium plan which cost $99.9/month.
Amazon prime video is a well-structured OTT platform where you can get streaming access to over 24,000 content. With its different content categories, you can streamline your content need. There is Amazon original series and amazon original videos, Tv shows, Thrillers, live sports event, musicals, documentaries and many more.
Amazon prime video is accessible on all smart devices, including amazon echo, amazon fire stick, and iPhone including its web version and it has a surprisingly high number of a subscription plan that comes with different feature.
- Live streaming option for sports and other Tv shows
- Great content structure
- Add-on channel option with a varying price tag: adding a few dollars to your original subscription will allow you access to Starz, showtime, PBS Kids and many more.
- Group watch party
- Video rental and purchase option for special content
- Download and watch the later option
- /Reasonable pricing system.
- Seven days free trial option.
Amazon’s prime video pricing option is very wide, especially with the addition of the add-on.
- The prime video plan cost $8.99 monthly. This plan gets you access to only prime video streaming content and nothing more
- Prime Monthly costs $14.99/month. This plan gives users access to many more amazon products like free 2 days delivery, amazon kindle, music and photo storage.
- Prime Annual cost $139/year and it comes with the same benefit as prime month except that you can get it at a subsidized rate of $119/yea saving about $11.50 dollars.
- Prime EBT/Medicaid costs $6.99/month and gives every amazon prime benefit.
- Prime students cost $7.49/monthly and $69/ year making it the cheapest option for students on amazon prime video.
- Add-on & Extras gives you access to extra Tv channels and the additional prices depend on the additional content you choose to access.
Disney Plus is a subsidiary of the American Walt Disney company. It is best known for streaming movies and series produced by the Walt Disney studio and Walt Disney television. Disney plus also has its original originals. Although, after its launch in America in 2019, Disney plus extended its tentacles to more European countries and more recently in 2022, it entered the African market. In April 2020. Disney was integrated with an already existing star India’s Hotstar streaming platform and was rebranded as Disney+hotstar to contain more content and serve its growing Indian audience. So, if you are looking for a hub of Disney movie collections, Disney+ or Disney+Hotstar as the case may be in India is your best bet.
- It is a very suitable underage audience so if you are looking for a well-packed entertainment hub for your kids, Disney plus is your go-to.
- It supports Dolby atmos vision and audio which makes it suitable for get-together.
- Easy to navigate interface
- Disney+ has multiple bundle options with other streaming platforms
- Ability to stream on four devices simultaneously
- Group watch feature which caters for community needs
- It can be streamed on any internet-connected device.
- Disney plus cost $8 per month and $80 annually for its ad-free streaming.
- The bundle plan with Hulu and ESPN has a starting price of $14/ per month depending on the
- Disney plus cost $8 per month and $80 annually for its ad-free streaming.
- The bundle plan with Hulu and ESPN has a starting price of $14/ per month depending on the additional channel the user plan to add.
If you live to watch sport another day, Then ESPN+ is for you. ESPN+ is arguably the number 1 sport-centred streaming service currently in the game.ESPN showcases selected live sports events with the exception of ESPN’s flagship prime-time or network programming. ESPN has an archive dedicated to streaming all kinds of sports games and highlights which means you can watch your favourite game of all time video on demand(VOD).
On your not-too-great days when you need to distract your mind with an exciting game, you can choose to download your favourite sport and watch offline to avoid social media distracting notifications. With its excellent streaming performance, ESPN plus will make your eyes water with excitement with its bank of incredible all-time sports content.
What We like about ESPN
- ESPN Plus is an OTT platform that gives users access to live and on-demand sports content.
- ESPN Plus offers a wide variety of sports content, including live events, on-demand programming, and original series.
- ESPN Plus is available on multiple devices, including mobile, tablet, and desktop.
- ESPN Plus has a variety of features that make it a great OTT platform for sports fans, including live streaming, DVR, and more.
- ESPN Plus is a great value for sports fans, with a variety of pricing options that make it affordable for everyone.
- You can get an ESPN+ subscription for $6.99 per month, or save over 15% with an ESPN+ Annual Plan at $69.99 per year.
- You can also bundle ESPN+ with Disney+ and Hulu for $13.99 per month.
- ESPN+ is currently $6.99/month or $69.99/yr.
Sling TV is an OTT platform that allows you to watch your favorite TV shows, movies, and sports programming without a cable or satellite subscription. You can watch Sling TV on your TV, computer, or mobile device.
Sling TV offers a variety of channels, including ESPN, CNN, and the Disney Channel. You can also add premium channels, such as HBO, to your subscription.
Sling TV is a great alternative to cable or satellite TV. It is less expensive and you can watch it on your own schedule.
What we love about Sling TV
- It is available on a variety of devices, including mobile phones, tablets, streaming media players, and personal computers.
- It offers a variety of channels, including ESPN, CNN, and the Disney Channel.
- Offers a variety of packages, so viewers can choose the channels that they want.
- Has a DVR feature that allows viewers to record their favourite shows and watch them at their convenience.
- Offers a 7-day free trial, so viewers can try the service before they commit to it.
- It is quite affordable
Sling offers two main packages: Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Each plan starts at $35 a month or both can be combined for $50 a month, offering subscribers a significant discount
Showtime is an over-the-top streaming platform that offers users a wide variety of TV shows, movies, and documentaries. It’s a great platform for those who want to watch their favourite shows without having to worry about commercials or paying for a cable subscription. showtime OTT also has a lot of exclusive content that you can’t find anywhere else. Whether you’re a fan of showtime original series or just want to watch something new, showtime OTT is definitely worth checking out. showtime OTT is great for families because it has a variety of kid-friendly content.
What We Like
- It has a free 30-day free trial option
- showtime is an American premium cable and satellite television network that serves as the flagship service of the CBS Corporation.
- showtime offers a variety of content that is updated regularly, making it a great option for those who want to stay up-to-date on the latest television offerings.
- showtime is easy to use and it has great customer support. You can always reach out if you have any questions or need help with anything.
- With SHOWTIME, there are no contracts – you can cancel anytime, without penalty.
Although you can choose to just use the free trial for a month long. If you enjoyed the free service, then, you can choose to you can subscribe to Showtime in a few different ways.
- If you subscribe directly through Showtime and use the app on one of your smart devices, prices start at $11/mo. on a month-to-month basis. If you decide to subscribe for a year upfront, you can pay $99/yr. to save $33/yr.
Apple TV is a digital media player and microconsole developed and sold by Apple Inc. It is a small network appliance and entertainment device that can receive digital data from a number of sources and stream it to a capable television. Apple TV is an HDMI-compliant source device. To use it for viewing, it has to be connected to an enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen television via an HDMI cable. The device has a built-in power supply and comes with an Apple Remote.
What we like
- The ability to stream content from different sources directly to your TV.
- A wide selection of apps and games specifically designed for the tvOS operating system.
- AirPlay support allows you to seamlessly share audio or video
content from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac directly to your TV.
- The inclusion of the Siri Remote with a built-in microphone makes it easy to search for content or control your TV using voice commands built-in microphone and touchpad make it easy to navigate the tvOS interface and search for content using voice commands.
- You can use the Apple TV as a second screen when playing certain video games on your Xbox One or PlayStation 4 console.
- The built-in Ethernet port means you can connect your Apple TV directly to your network for optimal performance.
- You can use the Apple TV to control your iTunes library and access your purchased movies, TV shows, and music.
- Apple TV in the US starts at $4.99 per month, with a free 7-day trial available.
- Students can get Apple TV for $3.49 a month. There are no contracts, and you can cancel anytime.
- If you buy a new Apple device, you’ll get one year of Apple TV+ for free. This offer is available on iPhones, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, and Mac.
- Apple TV+ is also included in Apple’s new Apple Fitness+ service, which starts at $9.99 per month. Apple Fitness+ is a workout service that works with Apple Watch and Apple TV.
When it comes to OTT platforms, there are a lot of great options out there. However, the best OTT platform in 2022 is still up for debate. While there are many different factors to consider, it ultimately comes down to what works best for you and your needs. There are a lot of great OTT platforms out there, so do your research and find the one that fits you best.
If you want an OTT platform with a wide range of content and features, then Netflix is definitely the way to go. It has an impressive selection of movies, TV shows, documentaries, and more, plus it is constantly adding new content. It also offers a variety of features, such as the ability to create multiple profiles, download shows to watch offline, and continue watching where you left off on another device.