Starting a podcast can be a thrilling journey, full of creative ideas, recording sessions, and the excitement of sharing your content with a wider audience. As a podcast creator, you have many options when it comes to sharing your episodes and increasing visibility for your show.
While many podcasters share their episodes on popular music and podcast streaming platforms, it’s worth considering the potential reach of other platforms, such as YouTube. With over 2 billion users worldwide, YouTube is now the largest podcast consumption platform in the US, overtaking Spotify.
If you’re looking to expand your audience and increase the visibility of your podcast, uploading your episodes to YouTube is an excellent strategy to consider. This guide will walk you through the straightforward process of uploading your podcast to YouTube, so you can reach an even larger audience and take your podcast to the next level.
How to Upload Your Podcast to YouTube
Convert Your Audio Podcast Into Video
Podcast interviews are typically recorded off-camera and in audio format, which can present a challenge when uploading to YouTube. The platform does not support MP3 files, so you’ll need to convert your audio podcast to a video file that can be uploaded to YouTube.
To do this, you can follow these two simple steps:
- Create a static graphic for the background of your podcast. This can include information such as the title of your show, your logo, host name, website URL, subject matter, and any other relevant details. There are many tools you can use to create these graphics, such as Canva, which offers a wide range of templates and a user-friendly interface.
- Use an audio editing tool to convert your audio file to a video version. One popular option is Headliner, which allows you to add images to your audio file, upload audio files up to 60 minutes in length, and include acoustic effects and subtitles. Once you’ve made your desired edits, you can download the file as an MP4 and upload it to your YouTube podcast channel.
In this way, you can convert your podcast into a video and share it on YouTube for wider audience.
Record Your Podcast as a Video Using a Webcam
Another effective way to upload your podcast to YouTube is by creating a video of your session and then uploading the video content on the platform. This approach allows you to record a video of your podcast directly using your webcam. Here’s how:
- Plug your podcast mics into your computer and ensure that your computer’s built-in webcam software recognizes the microphone. It’s important to check that your computer is picking up the sound from your external microphone, not the built-in microphone.
- Once your microphone settings are correct, begin recording your podcast using your camera.
- After recording, you can edit your video using a suitable video editing tool. Lightworks is a great option for editing and trimming your video, and it includes a variety of audio and video effects that can enhance the overall quality of your podcast.
- Finally, upload your edited podcast video to your YouTube channel.
Record Your Podcast as a Video Using an External Camera Setup
The video approach is particularly useful when recording with guest(s) on your show. It involves setting up an external camera in your recording space and presenting your podcast while recording from the camera. You may feel overwhelmed by the setup of an external camera, but you don’t need to invest in expensive videography equipment. A quality recording can be achieved with just a smartphone or any professional camera you have access to.
This approach is mainly suitable for short podcast episodes, as prolific podcasters using this method tend to record in episodes. To get started, you will need to invest in an affordable tripod to hold your device in position. Here are the steps to follow:
- Fix your camera device on the tripod stand and position it in a suitable location in your podcasting space. Adjust the focus and positioning of your camera until you achieve your desired view.
- Ensure the background of your room looks presentable and free of background noise.
- Record your podcast and make sure the audio quality is excellent.
- Using a suitable video editing tool, improve the video and audio quality of your podcast as desired.
- Once you have finished editing, and your video meets your desired standard, you can upload it directly to YouTube or use a podcast hosting and management software like Castos to edit further before uploading.
Using Castos YouTube Republishing Feature
Castos is a powerful podcast hosting platform that makes it easy for users to create, manage, and grow their podcast shows. One of the most useful features of Castos is its seamless integration with various platforms, including YouTube. This allows you to publish your podcast on YouTube with minimal effort.
Using Castos, you can do all the editing you need, convert your audio to video, and upload directly to YouTube using the YouTube republishing feature.
Here’s how to use Castos:
- Create an account on Castos( a free plan is available)
- Prepare and edit your already recorded podcast
- Visit the integration page of your Castos account and select the YouTube Republishing feature
- Click the connect button to add your YouTube account to Castos.
- Once successfully connected, select a playlist you want to publish.
- You can upload an existing graphic design you want to use as your background image or let Castos use your podcast cover art.
Once these steps have been completed, every time you publish a new audio recording of your podcast on Castos, it will automatically convert the file into a video, add your background image and publish it on your YouTube channel.
You can also upgrade to the paid plan to create custom videos for your podcast on Castos.
Why You Should Upload Your Podcast on YouTube
- Leverage on YouTube’s massive audience of over 2 billion monthly users worldwide.
- Increase listener engagement and interaction through comments, likes, and dislikes.
- Use YouTube analytics to monitor your podcast growth and understand your listeners’ preferences.
- Earn money from YouTube advertising by monetizing your podcast shows on the platform.
- Understand what your listeners are looking forward to in your podcast, what they dislike and generate relevant information from it.
- By publishing your podcast on YouTube, you can convert your podcast into a steady source of revenue.
The 10 Best Podcasts on YouTube
Here are our top ten best YouTube podcasts:
- H3H3 Podcast
- The Church of What’s Happening Now
- Jenna & Julien
- Tiësto’s CLUBLIFE
- Completely Unnecessary Podcast
- Peter Schiff Podcast
- Art of Manliness Podcast
- Ear Biscuits
- Dear Hank & John
- A Conversation With
FAQs on How to Upload Podcasts on YouTube
You can make money on YouTube by applying to the YouTube Partner Program and getting your application approved.
As a member of the YouTube partner program, you can earn money from YouTube advertising revenue, payment by members of your channel, shopping, and YouTube premium revenue.
Yes, you can remotely record a podcast with your mobile phone, provided you have podcast recording application software on your device.
We recommend the use of Anchor by Spotify for this purpose. Anchor is a free podcasting tool that allows you to record, edit, and upload your podcast across your podcast channels.
The best dimensions you should use for your background image are 2560 pixels by 1440 pixels.
Yes, YouTube has a podcast community. It is a page dedicated to podcasts and was launched in July 2022. However, the community is only available to users in the USA. This upgrade will be made available for general usage soon.
Uploading your podcast to YouTube is a fantastic way to reach a wider audience and expand your brand.
By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this blog post, you will be able to successfully upload your podcast to YouTube and take advantage of the platform’s many benefits.
Remember to optimize your video for search and engage with your audience through the comments section.